Stephen Fry is recuperating from surgical treatment for prostate cancer and stated “everything appeared to go quite well”.
The broadcaster, who had his operation in early January, stated on his site: “They took the prostate out,” including: “So far as we understand it’s all been got.”
He stated it was an “aggressive” cancer however it “does not appear” to have actually spread out.
The previous QI host included: “For the minute I’m healthy and well and delighted and I simply wished to let you understand since rumours had actually begun to swirl.”
In the video on his website , he stated: “You need to recuperate which’s exactly what I’ve been doing.”
He stated his household and “my beloved, beloved spouse” Elliott Spencer had actually been “simply wonderful”.
“Here’s hoping I’ve got another couple of years left on this world since I delight in life at the minute which’s a wonderful thing to be able to state, and I ‘d rather it didn’t disappear,” he included.
His condition was offered a Gleason Score – a scale utilized to rank the aggressiveness of prostate cancer – of 9 from 10 prior to the operation, where cosmetic surgeons got rid of 11 lymph nodes.
Fry included that he needed to get utilized to the concept of the medical diagnosis, stating: “I walked around stating to myself, ‘I’ve got cancer. Great paradises, Stephen, you’re not the sort of individual who gets cancer.’
“I understand it’s an old cliche however you do not believe it’s going to occur to you.”
He prompted males to obtain their PSA [prostate particular antigen] levels consulted a medical professional.
“I usually felt my life was conserved by this early intervention, so I would prompt any of you guys of a specific age to obtain your PSA levels examined,” he stated.
NHS Choices states there are benefits and drawbacks of having the test, which can be undependable and trigger unneeded concern.
What is prostate cancer?
- It’s the most typical cancer in males in the UK – an aging population implies more guys are passing away and establishing from the illness
- 40,000 brand-new cases are identified and around 11,000 males pass away from it each year
- It can establish gradually over years and numerous males have no signs
- Visible signs consist of having to urinate more frequently and weak circulation
- There is no single test for prostate cancer – the PSA blood test, biopsies and physical exams are all utilized
- Prostate cancer indication to watch out for
- Prostate cancer deaths surpass those from breast cancer
- Prostate awareness ‘alarmingly low’ in British males
Fans, consisting of some well-known names, sent out great desires on Twitter: